Spirit Riding Free is a computer-animated series produced by DreamWorks Animation Television and distributed by Netflix. Although the show is loosely based on the 2002 Oscar-nominated traditionally-animated film, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, the series shares no characters, specific settings, artwork styles, or plot elements with the film, the sole relations between the two being that Spirit Jr., the horse in the series, is the offspring of the Spirit from the film, and basic themes of freedom and life on the American frontier. The series comprises eight seasons and a total of fifty-two episodes, roughly 22 minutes each.
As of 2018, the first four seasons (one volume)have been released to DVD. Older episodes can be found for purchase on streaming services other than Netflix, such as YouTube and iTunes.
On September 2019, the following four seasons were released to DVD on the 24th.
Spirit Riding Free follows Lucky Prescott, who at the age of twelve relocates with her easygoing father and more strict aunt from the city back to the frontier town of Miradero, where she had lived from birth until the age of two. Leaving behind her city friends, Lucky strikes up friendships with two horseback-riding classmates, Abigail Stone and Pru Granger, and Lucky forms a special bond with a wild stallion she names Spirit, that was captured, but is now semi-wild. Lucky and her friends, known to each other as the "PALs" (an acronym for their names), attend school, ride the frontier on horseback, care for their horses, and have various adventures. The show focuses on themes of freedom versus familial and societal control, individuality versus conformity, class differences, growth and responsibility, and the meaning of making and keeping friends and loved ones. In particular, Lucky struggles to find identity by learning about a circus-star mother who died when Lucky was still too young to get to know her, and whose legacy in her family is threatened with being diminished when her father begins a relationship with the town's schoolteacher, Miss Flores.
- Amber Frank as "Lucky" Prescott: She is a very brave, kind, and headstrong girl, and does not like rules. She is the main protagonist.
- Sydney Park as "Pru" Granger: She is often the brains of the team, knowing something about everything. She is also brave and nice at heart.
- Bailey Gambertoglio as Abigail Stone: She is the least rebellious, and is typically portrayed as sweet and funny. But she can still be smart and is courageous like her friends.
- Darcy Rose Byrnes as Maricela Gutierrez: She is the spoiled daughter of the mayor of Miradero. Initially an adversary of Lucky and the others, she eventually becomes their friend.
- Victor Garber as James Prescott Sr. (1st Voice)
- Nolan North as Jim Prescott, and his father James Prescott Sr. (2nd Voice)
- Kari Wahlgren as Cora Prescott and Polly Prescott
- Duncan Joiner as Snips, Abigail's little brother
- Jeff Bennett as Mesteneros/Various
- Andy Pessoa as Turo
- Tiya Sircar as Kathryn "Kate" Flores-Prescott
- Jonathan Craig Williams as Al Granger
- Katey Sagal as Jane "Butch" LePray
- Thomas Lennon as Rooster
- Lucas Grabeel as Cousin Julian
- Andy Aragon as Javier
- James Patrick Stuart as Harlan Grayson
Volume 1 has twenty-six episodes and four seasons. The series premiered in May 2017, and the volume was available on DVD in Summer 2018.
- Season 1 - 6 episodes - premiered May 5, 2017
- Season 2 - 7 episodes - premiered September 8, 2017
- Season 3 - 7 episodes - premiered November 17, 2017
- Season 4 - 6 episodes - premiered March 16, 2018
Volume 2 has twenty-six episodes in four more seasons. The volume is available on DVD after September 24, 2019.
- Season 5 - 7 episodes - premiered May 11, 2018
- Season 6 - 6 episodes - premiered August 17, 2018
- Season 7 - 7 episodes - premiered November 6, 2018
- Season 8 - 6 episodes - premiered April 5, 2019